Can I use the IC-A14 in a noisy cockpit?
Since aviation air-band radios are rarely used in a non-high noise environment, it is imperative that they provide loud and clear audio. The Icom A14 uses a Bridge-Tied Load (BTL) amplifier that doubles the audio output providing a 700mW full-volume and clear sound that is not impeded by cockpit or tarmac noise.
"I fly a sport plane with the Icom A14 connected directly into my stock communication system. I can clearly hear traffic at other airports — some of them almost 20 miles away!"
— Pilot Joe H.
What's the difference between the Icom A14 and A14S?
The IC-A14 comes with a full keypad that allows for direct input of the channel or frequency and includes a designated button for the 121.5MHz emergency channel. The A14 also receives NAV and WX channels. The Icom A14S simple keypad was designed with ground crews in mind because it has a minimum amount of buttons giving it a simpler operation.
How large and heavy is the A14?
Standing at only 120mm tall and weighing 350g (including the antenna), the Icom A14 is one of the smallest and lightest handheld radios available. And if you get caught in the rain you won't need to worry because its water resistant construction provides reliable operation even in wet conditions.
How long will the Icom A14 battery last?
Large capacity Lithium-Ion battery pack
The A14's 2000mAh large capacity lithium-ion battery pack provides approximately 18 hours of stable output power operating time*. For added assurance, the BP-261 battery case takes 6 AA (LR6) alkaline cells for convenient battery backup.
* Typical operation, Tx:Rx: Stand-by=5:5:90.
How many channels does the Icom A14 have?
The IC-A14 has a total of 200 memory channels that, for easy recognition, can be assigned an 8-charcter name. The channels can be grouped into 10 memory banks for simple and fast operation.
Please Note: Memory banks are not available in the Icom A14S, but it does have 100 memory channels.
What type of battery charger does the A14 use?
The Icom A14 battery charger (BC-179) is a drop-in type that securely holds and charges the radio — even in bumpy conditions. The A14 cigarette lighter cable (CP-22) can be used with the BC-179.
What does the Icom A14 come with?
* Depending on version
- Battery pack, BP-232N or battery case, BP-261*
- Battery charger, BC-179*
- AC adapter, BC-174A/E*
- Belt clip, MB-94
- Antenna, FA-B02AR
Icom A14 Features
- 5W typ. (PEP), 1.5W (CW) output power
- Side tone function allows you to hear your own voice via a third party aviation headset
- LCD backlight for night time operation
- ANL (Auto Noise Limiter) for noise reduction
- Low battery indication and beep alert
- Adjustable microphone gain setting
- BNC type antenna connector
- The A14 is easy to Use, Rugged and Compact with Icom's V Speed Audio!
- Frequency range
- IC-A14 Tx (COM) 118.000–136.975MHz
- Rx (COM, NAV) 108.000–136.975MHz
- (Weather) 161.650–163.275MHz
- IC-A14S Tx/Rx (COM) 118.000–136.975MHz
- Mode : AM (6K00A3E)
- Weather (IC-A14 only) FM (16K0G3E)
- Channel spacing : 25kHz
- No. of memory channels :
- IC-A14 200 channels with 10 banks
- IC-A14S 100 channels
- Antenna impedance : 50Ω (BNC type)
- Power supply requirement : 7.4V DC (Icom battery pack)
- Current drain (at 7.2 V DC) :
- Tx 1.5A
- Rx Max. audio 500mA
- Stand-by 50mA typical
- Operating temp. range : –10°C to +60°C ; +14°F to +140°F
- Dimensions (W×H×D) : 53×120×36.9 mm (projections not included) ; 23⁄32×423⁄32×17⁄16 in
- Weight (approx.) : 350g; 12.3oz (with antenna and BP-232N)
- Output power (at 7.4V DC) : 5.0/1.5W typ. (PEP/CW)
- Modulation limiting : 70–100%
- Frequency stability : ±5ppm
- Audio harmonic distortion : Less than 10% (at 60% mod.)
- Hum and noise ratio : More than 35dB
- Spurious emissions : More than 46dB
- Except operating freq. ±62.5kHz point)
- Microphone connector : 3-conductor 2.5 (d) mm (1/10")/ more than 150Ω
- Intermediate frequency : 1st/2nd 46.35MHz/450kHz
- Sensitivity :
- COM (at 6dB S/N) –6dBμ typ.
- NAV (at 6dB S/N) –3dBμ typ. (IC-A14 only)
- WX (at 12dB SINAD) –13dBμ typ. (IC-A14 only)
- Squelch sensitivity (at threshold) :
- AM Less than 0dBμ
- FM (IC-A14 only) Less than –5dBμ
- Selectivity :
- More than 7.5kHz/–6dB
- Less than 25kHz/–60dB
- Hum and noise : More than 35dB (at 30% mod.)
- Spurious response :
- AM More than 60dB
- FM (IC-A14 only) More than 30dB
- Audio output power :
- Internal speaker More than 700mW
- External speaker More than 500mW
- at 10% distortion with an 8Ω load, 30% modulation
- Ext. speaker connector : 3-conductor 3.5 (d) mm (1/8")/ 8Ω