Rating: 4 of 5
"some serious omissions from the 396/496"
11/29/2009 by Rick in Florida
If you are used to the 396/496 you may find these omissions a reason to keep your current unit, at least until they fix the software for this new unit.
1. CRITICAL SERIOUS OMISSION: You can't see if an Airport has approaches available and which ones, like the 396/496 by reviewing the waypoint/airport info. This is a real loss of function for the traveling pilot who is facing unexpected weather and is looking for options to land.
2. HIGH PRIORITY ERROR: Black screen and auto turn off after looking at destination airport info screen from tapping on destination airport when simulator on.
3. HIGH PRIORITY: Add runway numbers to the runway extension lines. The 396/496 had this.
4. MED PRIORITY: On the Flight Plan List page. Why are the tabs not customizable and or scrollable? If they are fixed, it seems that Enroute Safe Altitude is not the best choice. Don't most pilots want to know Distance, Time (for currently selected Aircraft) and Est Fuel as the main items about a flightplan without having to review or activate the Flight Plan? These are the first critical items I always want to review.
5. MED PRIORITY: On the Flight Plan List Page, or even the Flight Plan Review Page. What happened to the 396/496 ability to view map? I realize the touchscreen interface may not have been optimal for editing on map, but how about at least letting me view the plan on the map (without having to activate the plan)? Getting a sense visually of the route is quite helpful.
6. MED PRIORITY: On the Fuel Timer - I fly Cessna. And on the 396/496 I could set a timer for 3 hours 30 minutes to remind me to recheck my fuel burn and ETE etc. I used this as a fuel level needs escalated attention now. Why does the aera limit me to 60 minutes? This is good for a low wing switch, but not useful for aircraft with cross-fed tanks.
7. LOW PRIORITY: On the Weight and Balance page. Why can't I have a negative weight? (the 396 had this problem too). Many Flight Manuals call for startup and taxi allowance of minus 8 pounds and the associated moment.